5 Reasons We Think Automation is Great!
The word “Automation” has been around for a long time. It originates from the word “automaton”; a word first used in the great poem The Iliad by Homer. In the classic work, the god Hephaestus was given the arduous task of fashioning all the weaponry for the Greek gods, which needed to be made from metal.
In order to do this faster and with increased efficiency, Hephaestus employed the help of automatons to assist him, which were machines capable of carrying out tasks without humans.
Fast forward a few thousand years and the meaning of automation has not changed; it’s the technology by which a process or procedure is performed without human assistance.
Here are 5 reasons why we love it!
- Think about the huge advancements in computers – one sector of the automation industry. Ranging from simple to amazingly difficult tasks, the computer has had an incredible impact on our lives whether it’s to carry out an online shop, navigate our way through a busy city or carry out complex calculations. It’s very difficult to imagine what our lives would be like without them.
- Think about how many industries rely on precise measurements and dosages. Humans are susceptible to errors, but automated equipment can repeat the same time with exacting accuracy time after time. Dose mode on the ZD10LCD stepper motor controller is one good example of this in a Zikodrive product but there are a huge range of applications and products around the world which take this even further.
- Programmed machines do what they are supposed to do. For example, a stepper motor controller that is programmed to dose 100ml will dose 100ml. Not 110ml, not 101ml. This means less liquid waste and less financial waste!
- Robots are now being used by different companies to pick shopping orders and carry out other tasks. When the robots work quickly and reliably, the speed of jobs can be increased, resulting in a raised level of productivity.
- There is a great automation industry out there creating jobs and opportunities for entrepreneurs and wider society. Think about the people who are involved in developing this amazing technology; the scientists, engineers and mathematicians; the test engineers, the assemblers, the companies who manufacture and sell different automation products. It’s an exciting and fast moving sector. Things are moving so fast that it who knows what exciting technological advancements are being made at this minute, tomorrow and in five years time somewhere in the world?